Michael was a GIVER – are you?
In life, Michael was a GIVER. He gave the gift of laughter to family and friends. He gave his best effort on the baseball field and in the classroom. He gave encouragement to others as a team leader on Normal West and Heartland Community College baseball teams. He gave back to the game of baseball as an assistant coach, sharing lessons and inspiring young men preparing to go where he had already been.
In death, he was a HERO. He gave the ultimate gift – new life to others. As an organ donor, his organ and tissue donations gave the gift of life to several recipients, and the gift of a better life to hundreds more.
- A woman from Illinois received his left kidney and pancreas. She is recovering at home with her two children.
- A woman from Illinois received his right kidney. She is home spending time with her two children.
- A man from Illinois received his liver. He is recovering at home with his wife and enjoying time with his four children.
- A woman from New York received his corneas. She was blind, but now she sees.
In addition to these dramatic gifts, hundreds of other recipients will benefit and experience an enhanced quality of life through Michael’s gift of tissue donation.
Do the Right Thing
A card came in the mail one day indicating Michael had registered to be an organ donor. This was news to his mother and father.
“Michael, are you aware you registered to be an organ donor,” his mom asked.
“Of course,” he calmly and matter-of-factly replied.
“Do you think we need to talk about it?”
“What is there to talk about,” he answered. “It’s the right thing to do.”
For Michael, it was just that simple.
Stats and Facts
- Every 10 minutes, a new person joins the national transplant waiting list
- An average of 22 people die each day while waiting
- Nearly 7,000 people will die nationwide waiting for an organ transplant in 2015
- More than 300 people registered for transplants in Illinois will die while waiting in 2015
- There are over 122,000 people on the National Organ waiting list
- There are over 5,000 people on the Illinois Organ waiting list
One can benefit many. A single organ and tissue donor can save the lives of more than 25 people and have a life-changing impact on hundreds more.
Be an organ donor. If you haven’t signed up yet, do it TODAY by clicking the link below.
It’s the right thing to do.
The Michael Collins Foundation is proud to call Gift of Hope our partner. They were such a blessing in the midst of a terrible and senseless tragedy.
The Michael Collins Foundation:
Helping in times of need.
Eliminating drunk driving.
Radically loving each other.
Paying it forward.
Inspiring others to change the world.
Sharing the eternal gift of Jesus.
Living this out every day.
Our Legacy – MCstrong